Hop To
Tybee 500 #100585
03/13/07 02:34 PM
03/13/07 02:34 PM
Framingham, MA
acceleratedchaos Offline OP
acceleratedchaos  Offline OP

Framingham, MA
Does anyone have or know the list of required safety equipment required for the Tybee 500 this year? I am very close to pulling off the ability to do it again this year, and am now looking into final details. The boat and crew are ready... just triing to get finances together!?!?! I saw the discussions on renting epirbs, but want make sure there aren't any other hidden items I should be planning for.
On a similar note... anyone know of a potential sponsor for a competitive sailing team with Worrell 1K, Tybee 500, and Outer Banks 500 experience????

Thanks in advance!
Chris
www.acceleratedchaos.com

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Tybee 500 [Re: acceleratedchaos] #100586
03/13/07 05:09 PM
03/13/07 05:09 PM
Charleston, SC
NCSUtrey Offline
old hand
NCSUtrey  Offline
old hand

Charleston, SC
You should have:
GPS
Compass
Chicken lines
Flares
Whistle
Throwable
EPIRB
PFD's (duh!)
Flashlight
Strobe

Trey
Re: Tybee 500 [Re: NCSUtrey] #100587
03/13/07 05:12 PM
03/13/07 05:12 PM
Charleston, SC
NCSUtrey Offline
old hand
NCSUtrey  Offline
old hand

Charleston, SC
Herro, I are Nigerian Prince from Arfica. I come to you in greeting and salutationings. In an efort to avoyd the governments heavy tax on my huge welth, I seek you to help me. I will send you 10m USD for sponsorship for you services and trubles in doing this so. I need my monies to be safely put into your account until further notice when I am free again to get them. Please send me your account info, password, soshial security number, and firstborn so that we can get the transaktion cumpleted.
Fair day to you kind sir:
Ababakabab Yomamaslab
Nigerian Prince

Re: Tybee 500 [Re: NCSUtrey] #100588
03/13/07 05:27 PM
03/13/07 05:27 PM
“an island in the Pacifi...
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

“an island in the Pacifi...
You'll need to prove your serious by shipping me a Hobie Tiger with trailer and spares. Looking forward to doing business with you soon.

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: Tybee 500 [Re: NCSUtrey] #100589
03/13/07 06:36 PM
03/13/07 06:36 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I don't think chicken lines were ever on the list - but a personal lanyard is.

Jake Kohl
Re: Tybee 500 [Re: Jake] #100590
03/14/07 01:18 PM
03/14/07 01:18 PM
Framingham, MA

Framingham, MA
Prince Trey, Check your account, money order should be on its way!

So I called PLB rentals as per this website... http://www.plbrentals.com/products/products.asp
and the guy was adamant that a PLB (which he will rent for the week for a good price) is NOT an EPIRB. Product is the ACR terafix with GPS, weighs 12 oz. Is this ok to use???
This was so much easier when I had my cheap mini-B that is sitting in my basement and ready to go!
Thanks,
chris

Re: Tybee 500 [Re: acceleratedchaos] #100591
03/14/07 02:57 PM
03/14/07 02:57 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
EPIRBs are used for maritime emergencies, where ELTs are used in aircraft applications and PLBs are used for personal use.

I'm pretty sure the terra fix is intend for use on land. You need the Aquafix but both appear to have the same specs except that the Aquafix comes with some sort of head mount (undoubtedly for if you are bobbing in the ocean).

Jake Kohl
Re: Tybee 500 [Re: Jake] #100592
03/14/07 03:53 PM
NYC
Vladimir Offline
Vladimir  Offline

NYC
Terrafix and Aquafix are same model. The difference is in color and targeting market only. Those PLBs work same as EPIRBs. The only difference is in battery life. They have shorter battery life, so they can not be called EPIRB. (24 hrs vs 72 hrs)

Re: Tybee 500 [Re: Jake] #100593
Annapolis,MD
Keith Offline
veteran
Keith  Offline
veteran

Annapolis,MD
EPIRBs are used for maritime emergencies, where ELTs are used in aircraft applications and PLBs are used for personal use.

I'm pretty sure the terra fix is intend for use on land. You need the Aquafix but both appear to have the same specs except that the Aquafix comes with some sort of head mount (undoubtedly for if you are bobbing in the ocean).

From what I can see, the major difference between an EPIRB and a PLB is that the EPIRB has a longer battery life, is a little more robust, and is considered a must if you are going to be in an area that may take rescuers more than 24 hours to find you. PLBs are EPIRBs for not so remote areas, battery life under use is 24 hours. It would seem a marinized PLB should be sufficient for the job, but the real question is does it meet the stated requirements for the race.

PLB [Re: Keith] #100594
03/14/07 04:14 PM
03/14/07 04:14 PM
US Western Continental Shelf
hobiegary Offline
old hand
hobiegary  Offline
old hand

A PLB certainly is different than an EPIRB.

My PLB has an EPIRB built into it.
Read about them and then you'll know.

here's how they work

PS (this is an edit to the original post above)

So I guess there is a 406Mhz beacon calling itself an EPIRB? I was lead to believe that the old 121's were called EPIRB's and that the 406's were called PLB's.

Therefore, I thought that people were comparing apples to oranges when looking for differences between EPIRB's and PLB's.

GARY

Last edited by hobiegary; 03/14/07 06:09 PM.

Santa Monica Bay
Mystere 6.0 "Whisk" <--- R.I.P.
Re: PLB [Re: hobiegary] #100595
03/14/07 04:51 PM
03/14/07 04:51 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
A PLB certainly is different than an EPIRB.

My PLB has an EPIRB built into it.
Read about them and then you'll know.

here's how they work

GARY

I think you're confusing the old obsolete 121.5Mhz only EPIRBs with the modern 406Mhz / 121.5Mhz units. I can't find any difference between a 'PLB' and an 'EPIRB' other than battery life. Both use the 406Mhz signal and have optional positioning broadcast capability.

Jake Kohl
Re: PLB [Re: Jake] #100596
03/14/07 05:47 PM
03/14/07 05:47 PM
hobiegary Offline
old hand
hobiegary  Offline
old hand

I can't find any difference between a 'PLB' and an 'EPIRB' other than battery life. Both use the 406Mhz signal and have optional positioning broadcast capability.

So I guess there is a 406Mhz beacon calling itself an EPIRB? I was lead to believe that the old 121's were called EPIRB's and that the 406's were called PLB's.

Therefore, I thought that people were comparing apples to oranges when looking for differences between EPIRB's and PLB's.

GARY

Santa Monica Bay
Re: Tybee 500 [Re: NCSUtrey] #100597
03/14/07 05:53 PM
03/14/07 05:53 PM
South Florida & the Keys
arbo06 Offline
Pooh-Bah
arbo06  Offline
Pooh-Bah

South Florida & the Keys
If you have testicles, bring them.

Re: PLB [Re: hobiegary] #100598
03/14/07 08:02 PM
03/14/07 08:02 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Man, the web is wonderful

There are three types of beacons used to transmit distress signals - EPIRBs (for maritime use), ELTs (for aviation use), and PLBs (generally used for land-based applications).

Read below to find out more on these types of beacons…

Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB)

EPIRBs are for use in maritime applications. There are two types of EPIRB. One type transmits an analog signal on 121.5 MHz. The other type transmits a digital identification code on 406 MHz and a low-power "homing" signal on 121.5 MHz.

The 406 MHz EPIRBs are divided into two categories. Category I EPIRBs are activated either manually or automatically. The automatic activation is triggered when the EPIRB is released from its bracket. Category I EPIRBs are housed in a special bracket equipped with a hydrostatic release. This mechanism releases the EPIRB at a water depth of 3-10 feet. The bouyant EPIRB then floats to the surface and begins transmitting. If you own a Category I EPIRB, it's very important that you mount it outside your vessel's cabin where it will be able to "float free" of the sinking vessel.

Category II EPIRBs are manual activation only units. If you own one of these, it should be stored in the most accessible location on board where it can be quickly accessed in an emergency.

If you have a 406 MHz EPIRB their signal can be instantly detected by geostationary satellites. This means that even a brief inadvertant signal can generate a false alert. To avoid getting a call from the Coast Guard make sure that when you test your EPIRB you follow the manufacturer's recommendations carefully.

Also, make certain that you register your EPIRB. If for some reason your beacon does activate inadvertently and it is registered, the call you receive from the Coast Guard will be a friendly one. If it is not registered, it may not be quite so friendly. More importantly, registration will help rescue forces find you faster in an emergency and allow you to make an important contribution to the safety of others by not needlessly occupying SAR resources that may be needed in an actual emergency. If you need to register a 406 MHz EPIRB, you can now register online or you may download a beacon registration form.

All 121.5 MHz EPIRBs, often referred to as Category B (or “Mini Bs") are manual activation units. Although these units do work with the low-earth orbiting satellite system, they do not work as well as 406 MHz beacons, and they can not be detected by the geostationary satellites that provide instantaneous alerting for 85% of the globe. Furthermore, 121.5 MHz beacons are a large source of wasted effort by SAR forces. Most 406 MHz false alerts can be resolved easily with a phone call. In contrast, every 121.5 MHz false alert must be tracked to the source using direction finding equipment. These reasons (and more) have lead the International Cospas-Sarsat Program to phaseout 121.5 MHz satellite alerting on February 1st, 2009. Thus, if you have a 121.5 MHz EPIRB it will no longer work with the Cospas-Sarsat Satellites after that date and you will need to make the switch to a 406 MHz EPIRB!

Emergency Locator Transmitters (ELTs)

ELTs were the first emergency beacons developed and most U.S. civil aircraft are required to carry them. ELTs were intended for use on the 121.5 MHz frequency to alert aircraft flying overhead. Obviously, a major limitation to these is that another aircraft must be within range and listening to 121.5 MHz to receive the signal. One of the reasons the Cospas-Sarsat system was developed was to provide a better receiving source for these signals. Another reason was to provide location data for each activation (something that overflying aircraft were unable to do).

Different types of ELTs are currently in use. There are approximately 170,000 of the older generation 121.5 MHz ELTs in service. Unfortunately, these have proven to be highly ineffective. They have a 97% false alarm rate, activate properly in only 12% of crashes, and provide no identification data. In order to fix this problem 406 MHz ELTs were developed to work specifically with the Cospas-Sarsat system. These ELTs dramatically reduce the false alert impact on SAR resources, have a higher accident survivability success rate, and decrease the time required to reach accident victims by an average of 6 hours.

Presently, most aircraft operators are mandated to carry an ELT and have the option to choose between either a 121.5 MHz ELT or a 406 MHz ELT. The Federal Aviation Administration has studied the issue of mandating carriage of 406 MHz ELTs. The study indicates that 134 extra lives and millions of dollars in SAR resources could be saved per year. The only problem is that 406 MHz ELTs currently cost about $1,500 and 121.5 MHz ELTs cost around $500. It's easy to see one reason for the cost differential when you look at the numbers.However, no one can argue the importance of 406 MHz ELTs and the significant advantages they hold.
Due to the obvious advantages of 406 MHz beacons and the significant disadvantages to the older 121.5 MHz beacons, the International Cospas-Sarsat Program have made a decision to phaseout 121.5 MHz satellite alerting on February 1st, 2009. All pilots are highly encouraged both by NOAA and by the FAA to consider making the switch to 406!

Personal Locator Beacons (PLBs)

PLBs are portable units that operate much the same as EPIRBs or ELTs. These beacons are designed to be carried by an individual person instead of as part of the on board equipment of a boat or aircraft. Unlike ELTs and some EPIRBs, they can only be activated manually and operate exclusively on 406 MHz. And like EPIRBs and ELTs, all PLBs also have a built-in, low-power homing beacon that transmits on 121.5 MHz. This allows rescue forces to home in on a beacon once the 406 MHz satellite system has gotten them "in the ballpark" (about 2-3 miles). Some newer PLBs like the ACR AquaFix and ACR TerraFix also allow GPS units to be integrated into the distress signal. This GPS-encoded position dramatically improves the location accuracy down to the 100-meter level…that’s roughly the size of a football field!

In the United States, PLBs are now authorized for nationwide use. This authorization was granted by the FCC beginning July 1st, 2003. Prior to July 1st, 2003 only residents of Alaska had been able to use PLBs. The Alaska PLB Program was set up to test the capabilities of PLBs and their potential impact on SAR resources. Since March of 1995, the experiment proved very successful and helped save nearly 400 lives while generating only a few false alerts. The success of the Alaska PLB program undoubtedly paved the way for nationwide usage of these devices.

Jake Kohl
Re: PLB [Re: Jake] #100599
03/16/07 12:43 PM
03/16/07 12:43 PM
Framingham, MA

Framingham, MA
so.... I get that there is difference between EPIRB and PLB, but I guess the question really comes down to what are the requirments for the race? I can't find anything on the race website or in the NOR. Haven't seen the SI's yet. What are the other teams planning to use this year?
Thanks!
Chris

Re: PLB [Re: acceleratedchaos] #100600
03/16/07 01:27 PM
03/16/07 01:27 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
PLBs. Team Cat in the Hat had the Aquafix units last year and they passed inspection. Frank just reserved our Aquafix units (renting). If your butt can be found if you turn it on and the Coast Guard approves it, I'm quite sure it's going to pass.

Jake Kohl
Re: PLB [Re: Jake] #100601
03/16/07 08:40 PM
03/16/07 08:40 PM
hobiegary Offline
old hand
hobiegary  Offline
old hand

Jake,

The Internet is a great place and is certainly a wealth of text.

I am questioning the validity of that quote you posted. I'm not arguing (yet) since I have not taken the time to read up and build a case against it, but I know that I have read, in more than one place, that the 406 MHZ satellites used for the system are NOT geostationary and therefore do NOT instantaneously read your distress signal.

My PLB is specifically built for marine usage. That differs from what the text of your quote claims.

Okay, (maybe we are both correct) here is an excerpt from a USCG site. It shows that there are both Polar Obiting and Geostationary satellites being used. The reason for the delay of up to an hour or two is because of the orbitalites . So, .. you can be noticed instantaneously, but your approximate location may not be reported, for as much as 2 hours.

These devices are detectable not only by COSPAS-SARSAT satellites which are polar orbiting, but also by geostationary GOES weather satellites. EPIRBs detected by the GEOSTAR system, consisting of GOES and other geostationary satellites, send rescue authorities an instant alert, but without location information unless the EPIRB is equipped with an integral GPS receiver. EPIRBs detected by COSPAS-SARSAT (e.g. TIROS N) satellites provide rescue authorities location of distress, but location and sometimes alerting may be delayed as much as an hour or two.

Source
Comparisons

One thing that we all should be warned of is that there is a HUGE fine for false alarms. Also, if you use the "test" feature, you must only do so during the first five minutes of any given hour of the day.

GARY

Santa Monica Bay
Re: PLB [Re: hobiegary] #100602
03/18/07 10:19 AM
03/18/07 10:19 AM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
Its good to see you registered Chris.

looks like its going to be a great race this year!

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 234 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022