09/19/03 07:31 AM
09/19/03 07:31 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

No boats are as slow as boats that are upside down or scatted about in multiple pieces.

So what is the point ?

How doe limiting the number of grommits make racing more fair ?

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: So what is the point ? [Re: Wouter] #24226
09/19/03 08:32 AM
09/19/03 08:32 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
It's probably more about A) maintaining the warrantee of the boat and B) the manufacturer trying to keep his product from appearing faulty (suppose a lot of people add the grommets/extra tension and end up breaking boats).

Jake Kohl
Re: So what is the point ? [Re: Jake] #24227
09/19/03 01:14 PM
09/19/03 01:14 PM
California
mmiller Offline
veteran
mmiller  Offline
veteran

California
Just so you guys know that Hobie Cat is not makeing a ton of dough on a Hobie 20 trampoline...

Tim,

I just reviewed the costs of the Hobie 20 trampoline...

The 20 tramp has 5.3 times the cost of labor and overhead that the 16 tramp has. Yikes!

The 16 trampoline has 1.68 hours of labor. The 20 tramp has 8.9 hours of labor.

There are several reasons the labor is so much more. We build hundreds of 16 tramps and they are basically square. When we cut trampolines for the 16 we can slit a roll of cloth in an automated system. They run seams through our welders by hundreds of feet at a time. The 20 is more of a custom run. The 20 trampoline is cut with a very precise pattern, one at a time. It has tons of little details that the 16 trampoline does not have. Pockets, grommets, little webbing straps. The shape is a net fit with the hulls.

I must admit... it is a nice trampoline.

Hobie sells the 20 trampoline for $630.00. (In 1999 the 20 tramp was listed as $720.00. It has been $630.00 since 2000 regardless of the increases in labor and overhead costs we have incurred.) The 20 trampoline is available in Black, Teal, Turquoise and Blue. All of these are IN STOCK so you can sail tomorrow if you need one.

The trampolines are all heat welded vinyl. These are proven to be the longest lasting trampoline materials and process available. Other direct sales companies have lesser quality materials that are stitched. We know we have to compete with these guys in some way, but we cannot give away product to do so.

Hobie Cat has a dealer network that helps to support sailors nationwide (Worldwide for that matter). We cannot sell boats and parts direct nor would it be in the end users best interest. Other companies sell direct as they have no dealer network. Simple math makes it difficult for Hobie Cat to compete with a company that will sell factory direct. No Hobie dealers means no new boat sales. No new boat sales means no future for Hobie or Hobie cat racing. Pretty simple concept.

As you can see, you pay more for the Hobie made trampoline for many reasons more than just the class legal issue.

Matt

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company
Re: So what is the point ? [Re: mmiller] #24228
09/19/03 01:44 PM
09/19/03 01:44 PM
hobie541 Offline OP
enthusiast
hobie541  Offline OP
enthusiast

As you can see, you pay more for the Hobie made trampoline for many reasons more than just the class legal issue.

Hi Matt,

I really appreciate the fact that you've explained the math behind this. I had forgotten that the Hobie 20 tramp was not square, and can see where that would add quite a bit of labor, along with the other issues you mentioned.

So, I'm convinced that it's a pretty nice tramp.

However, when money is tight from time to time, I still wish that if I as the consumer wanted to get a cheaper one to get by, that I could, without being (theoretically) protested by some schmuck who had a bad day.

I'll be saving up my pennies over the winter so I can buy a new one. Thank goodness we have winter here in the frozen north!

Cheers!

Tim

Tim D. Johnson Hobie 20 #690 Bald Eagle Yacht Club, Fleet 52 www.beyc.org
Re: So what is the point ? [Re: mmiller] #24229
09/19/03 04:18 PM
09/19/03 04:18 PM
Ft. Pierce, Fl. USA
Seeker Offline
addict
Seeker  Offline
addict

Ft. Pierce, Fl. USA
Matt
How responsive is the Hobie organization to feedback like you have just received on this forum? Hobie customers have raised a reasonable question, to which you responded with a reasonable answer. My question is this…Now that the subject has been broached about the cost of replacement parts (particularly the Tramp) what if any consideration will Hobie give this with its future designs. A tramp design, which is complex and costly to produce, can be more easily justified with a no-holds-bared boat (M 20?). For a boat that is to be used/raced by the masses, I would think a great deal of thought would be put into the design for the most effective blend of performance and cost efficiency in manufacture. It sounds like the Hobie 20 may have a bit more complexity in the Tramp design than necessary. May be too late to change for the Hobie 20…but it might definitely be worth looking at it a bit harder before putting the next model into production.

8.9 hrs is quite a bit of time…but where it is made also comes into play…I make no pretence at knowing where Hobie has their Tramps made…If it is made in the USA by highly paid craftsman, smothered with government regulations and environmental concerns that’s one thing…. If it is being made in China with hazardous working conditions, no regard for their environment, by people who are getting paid a daily wage that wouldn’t pay for lunch at a typical McDonalds that’s something all together different. That is not an accusation aimed at Hobie, just a fact that many big businesses are taking advantage of the extremely low wages of some foreign countries. …If that is the case, then it is the big manufacture that has products manufactured overseas that has the advantage, not the “little guy” who is doing production is the U.S. and selling direct.

In closing I would like to thank Matt for taking the time to set the record straight, the more information the buyer has, the more secure he/she feels about investing in a product.

Bob

Responsive? [Re: Seeker] #24230
09/19/03 06:55 PM
09/19/03 06:55 PM
California
mmiller Offline
veteran
mmiller  Offline
veteran

California
I'd say Hobie Cat USA is VERY responsive. I lowered the cost of the Hobie 20 trampoline several years ago due to concerns like these. I have been pricing all of the trampolines with an eye on what is available out there from other suppliers. I know people have a choice. Racers only account for about 10% of the business we do, so we have a much bigger picture we have to be aware of when considering the recreational market for these things. Actually we have Hobie 16 tramps for far less than what you can get at Sunrise. The colored mesh are only about $20.00 more and all are class legal.

Let me just clarify:

Hobie Cat makes all of our tramps and sails here in Oceanside California. We have made our own since the company was based in Irvine and brought the McKibben loft in-house. This goes for all US Models / can’t say for HC France models. I think allot of their stuff is made in Europe, but some are likely made in Hong Kong. We have been very aware over the years that buying off shore can save money, but it costs jobs here. Most of what we do now is better served by building here due to more factors related to flexibility and inventory levels. It is only cheaper over there if you can buy in big quantities and stock heavily.

You should understand something about the Hobie 20. The Hobie 20 was a joint Hobie Cat and private venture that was intended for export for Europe originally. It ended up as a Hobie Cat USA model. We did not have full control over that design... and once it was done and produced for a while, we didn't want to change it. You guys obviously hate it when we change things and we are VERY aware of that.

We are very cognizant of making changes that affect the class, but we are also only one part of the picture. As a manufacturer we are but one vote on the rules committee. The class has the say so on many things. Personally I have been all over the proposed changes to the Hobie 16... I just hate changes really. I am a Hobie sailor/racer first and a Hobie company man second. You can often find me defending what I think is right for the class.

A statement was made about all of the differences in a Wave sail as evidence of something. The Wave was never intended as a race boat, so we COULD make changes to make the boat better. Actually, we have made very few changes as it is. I have no idea what Rick is looking at as far as luff curve changes. Maybe he has seen an original proto type sail or old Mylar ones that we had from pre-production days.

We have two things going on here.

Some people want changes / some people don't want changes.

It is a difficult line to walk. You just can't do it right for everyone. Sometimes we have to make changes due to supplier issues or safety issues (CompTip), other times we are forced to make changes to keep up with the market place (lowered boat weights in the early 80's) and sometimes we are forced to make changes due to popular demand and class decisions. Just review what is going on in the 14/16 forum recently.

Rule change proposals for Hobie 14/16

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company
Re: Responsive? [Re: mmiller] #24231
09/19/03 11:24 PM
09/19/03 11:24 PM
Ft. Pierce, Fl. USA
Seeker Offline
addict
Seeker  Offline
addict

Ft. Pierce, Fl. USA
Excellent response…Hobie is lucky to have you on their front line.

Bob

Re: Class legal tramp?? Give me a break! [Re: hobie541] #24232
09/22/03 05:13 PM
09/22/03 05:13 PM
Western New York
wyatt Offline
enthusiast
wyatt  Offline
enthusiast

Western New York
I do see your point and I understand. Here's what I'm saying: If my one design class has a set of rules for me, I'm going to do my best to follow them. A new boat might be the answer, but it's usually only at the Nationals level that you'll see this kind of competitition.

Wyatt

Re: Class legal tramp?? Give me a break! [Re: wyatt] #24233
09/23/03 02:44 AM
09/23/03 02:44 AM
SF. Bay Area
mwr Offline
mwr  Offline

SF. Bay Area
Wonderful responses, Matt- Hobie is indeed lucky to have you around.
I just have to chime in here and ask about the sails.
I recently ordered a new class-legal jib from Murrays. Due to a shipping error, I was first sent an aftermarket jib, and sailed it for a few days. Murrays quickly sent out my Hobie branded jib, and informed me that not only are they the same product, but they are from the same sail loft! The only difference being the Hobie trademark.
I respect all that you said above, but if this is in fact the same sail (essentially) what is the reason for such a drastic price difference? I fully support buying the class-legal parts, and I would even choose to by the Hobie brand if there were a moderate difference in price, but if the same sail is really being sold at a huge price spread, I have to sit back and wonder.
I really don't want to drag you into a full discourse on Hobie's sourcing and product economics, but would you please tell me a little about the Hobie 18 jib?

Michael Rossney West Oakland, Ca. H-18
Re: Class legal tramp?? Give me a break! [Re: mwr] #24234
09/23/03 08:59 AM
09/23/03 08:59 AM
Brighton, UK
grob Offline
addict
grob  Offline
addict

Brighton, UK
While we are on the subject how about the H16 bare tiller tube

See previous thread "Saving $$$ with Generics? "

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/sho...=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=all

The conclusion I reached is that Hobie seem to plough alot of money back into the sport, and there is more to the cost of a product than simply making it. I beleive a hobie 16 is very overpriced but I still wouldn't be without mine.

Without Hobie there probably wouldn't even be a beachcat.

Gareth
www.fourhulls.com

Re: Hobie 18 after market jib? [Re: mwr] #24235
09/23/03 12:30 PM
09/23/03 12:30 PM
California
mmiller Offline
veteran
mmiller  Offline
veteran

California
I really don't want to drag you into a full discourse on Hobie's sourcing and product economics, but would you please tell me a little about the Hobie 18 jib?

That one is interesting... Murrays (who is not an authorized Hobie Cat dealer anyway) sent you some kind of "after market" jib that was not "class legal" for the 18? Certainly that jib was not made by Hobie Cat! We make all of our (USA model cats) Hobie Sails in our loft here in Oceanside California. We do not make an after market jib that is not class legal for an 18, nor do we sell one that is at some different price structure. No idea where Murrays came up with that idea. Sounds like they just made a mistake and sent you some sail from another manufacturer that they sell. It disturbs me that they are trying to pass this off as "the same" or from our loft. All of our dacron sails are made from 5.6 oz dacron cloth. You will find that the cheaper after market sails are likely much lighter weight material.

We do sell a "recreational" jib for the 16 that is roller furling.

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company
Re: Hobie 18 after market jib? [Re: mmiller] #24236
09/24/03 01:50 PM
09/24/03 01:50 PM
SF. Bay Area
mwr Offline
mwr  Offline

SF. Bay Area
Hmmmm, interesting....
Well, I will say that upon closer inspection, they do apear to be different sails. At least the zipper is a different make, and there are telltails and windows on the Hobie jib, which is really important to me.
I am still glad I was able to purchase the Hobie branded jib, and even happier that it is different than the "generic" one.
Thanks for your time and your quick answers, Matt.
By the way, I just LOVE my Hobie 18!

Michael Rossney West Oakland, Ca. H-18
Re: Hobie 18 after market jib? [Re: mwr] #24237
09/24/03 02:57 PM
09/24/03 02:57 PM
Annapolis,MD
Keith Offline
veteran
Keith  Offline
veteran

Annapolis,MD
A couple of years ago my wife decided to get me a new main for 18 for my birthday. She went through Murray's, and ended up getting the sails they sell from Super Sailmakers (she wasn't aware of the class requirement). She ordered the heavier cloth version, which is similar to the weight of the Hobie sail. With the heavier cloth, the sail cost about the same as the Hobie sail. It did not come with telltales, numbers, or windows as standard. The claim is that the Super Sailmakers sails are the same cut and dimensions as the stock sails.

See the attached photo - the old stock sail is on the bottom, the new non-stock sail on top. Luff, head and foot are lined up. Quite a bit less area. I wouldn't have been able to use my battens without cutting them down. The sail build quality was excellent - but it was not the same cut and dimension.

We returned this sail and got a new Hobie one. Much better! Came with numbers, telltales, windows, and the area was actually a little more on the leech.

Attached Files
24702-Pb040093.jpg (96 downloads)
Re: Hobie 18 after market jib? [Re: Keith] #24238
09/24/03 04:26 PM
09/24/03 04:26 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I looked at the Murray cataloge after you guys were posting this and it is a bit misleading. They list in the sidebar for Replacement sails for H14, H16, and TheMightyHobie18 the different color and weight options and state that they are not class legal for racing. Then in the sail selection chart, they list "Aftermarket Sails" and "Factory Sails". Saying "Factory Sails" leads one to believe that these ARE from Hobie and class legal but it says nothing about that. I wonder what they mean by "Factory Sails"?

http://www.murrays.com/archive/49.pdf

(Matt - I think your responses here are "spot on" and shows what a standup company Hobie is. Thanks for your input).

Jake Kohl
I have a correction to make! [Re: Jake] #24239
09/24/03 08:44 PM
09/24/03 08:44 PM
California
mmiller Offline
veteran
mmiller  Offline
veteran

California
I stated that Hobie Cat USA makes all of the current USA model boat sails here in Oceanside, California. That is correct, except for one sail. The Hobie 20 jib is built by our former sail loft manager's loft in San Diego. This is because of the way it is cut and put together and we feel that the personal attention given to the jib on this boat is very important. It requires a keen eye more than any other sail we are building here.

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company
Re: Responsive? [Re: mmiller] #24240
10/02/03 12:54 PM
10/02/03 12:54 PM
Maryland, USA
HoldenBeachin Offline
HoldenBeachin  Offline

Maryland, USA
Hi Matt...

Just a quick thought about possible options for Hobie customers looking for a Hobie trampoline replacement. Many other segments of industry produce different quality items for their customers, giving them a choice of "good", "better", or "best". Then people who may not sail often, or who might have a tight financial situation, could choose to purchase a Hobie replacement part that best suited their needs. We would understand that the "good" Hobie tramp may not last as long, or carry as lengthy a warranty, as the "best" one. It would be like the difference in price for a plain white Hobie sail vs. a multi-coloured one. Both are class legal. Would it not be possible for Hobie to manufacture (or sub-contract) a slightly less labour-intensive, but class-legal "Hobie" tramp?

Just a thought...

Mark Owens
1976 H16 sail # 19857

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 296 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022