Sorry I misunderstood your post.

As far as I'm aware Texel does not link any rating directly to the class compliant boats. A class can leave the sail area unspecified is they want to but they can not get a class rating then. In that case each boat has to be measured and a different rating has to be calculated. Or the maximum dimensions found will be used to rate all baost in that class.

http://www.texelrating.knwv.nl/getanumber.html

The Texel rating tries to determine the fastest possible speed for a given set of basis parameters.

With respect to your tornado question I think that all Tornado's with the named sails will be rated the same as long as the girth rule is satisfied. The one which doesn't gets a different rating number.

We are talking handicap racing here and although it may be fair to rate tornado's with rather equal sail equally, it will be unfair to bend the rule in case of one class in relation to another that does satisfy the Girth rule.

A no win situation, I admit. Its unfair to other designs when you rate them equally (PN) and it;s unfair to that class when you don't (Texel).

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands