Bruce,
Neither Texel or portsmouth directly correct for the method of deployment of a headail in the rating number.

Any headsail sail with a midgirth >75% of the footlength is a spinnaker (or gennaker). It can be furled, snuffed, deck launched and it still counts as a spinnaker and is rated as such.

Any headsail with the midgirth =or< 75% of the foot length is not defined as a spinnaker. They are called reachers, screachers, hooters code 0's etc. They can be furled, deck launched, etc. both Portsmouth and Texel rate them seperately. these sails are typicaly designed to have a very tight luff and are more like big jibs. They can often be used in lighter winds for reaching and sailing upwind.

The portsmouth rating indirectly takes into acount the launch methods alowed by a class if it is rated with a spinnaker as standard. for example, the I-20 was sold with a snuffer. The snuffer launch method was faster around the buoy's and the results and therefore rating reflect this. However, and I-20 with a snuffer, and one deck launching the spinnaker have identical ratings.

Having a furling spinnaker is not a particularly new concept, I believe the Dart TSX circa 1994-5 had a furling spinnaker availible.

Eric Anderson