Steve, your argument sounds reasonable, and a couple months ago I would have been totally on your side…

You are basing your hypothesis on one boat design…and the logical conclusion from that basis is the one you arrived at…. however what if we were talking a different hull shape? One that had more volume forward? One that had an extreme crown to the deck that resisted pitch pole to a much greater extent than the Mosquito? You might get a totally different result when loading it up with more sail area…because it was designed from it’s inception to handle it.

Like your self, I would like to get the lowest reasonable weight. However after seeing the boat that won the Steeple Chase, I have to admit there is a lot more to the picture than just weight. The SC 20 that won is an absolute beast…something like 550 lbs?, repairs and all. A hundred lbs over class weight…(the way people talk around here, five pounds over minimum would be the “kiss of death”)…and it still won…Why? Because it is a superior “DESIGN”.

It all starts with the platform…that is your foundation…if the platform has taken in the design features that are necessary to reduce pitch poll to a minimum then the option to increase sail area open up. I say that as it seems that the most talked about limiting factor to catamaran speed is the ability to drive a Catamaran hard without pitch pole. If you are not worried about “going over the handle bars” all the time you can keep your “foot on the gas” longer.

As far as the Tornado’s of 2004 being lighter, I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the weight is exactly the same as when the class was conceived, and while the strength of the hull has continued to improve, the weight has remained constant.

Bob