Eric I posted this with extreme carfullness, because I wanted to avoid a post like yours. I will quote myself so you can see, what I said.
Mary it has been proven that a sloop F16 can sail faster than a Uni. The DPN will reflect this so will the Texel ratings.

Sloop can be pushed a lot harder than Uni's
Importance on the CAN sail faster, The DPN and sloops can be pushed harder
Frankly, I don't know what "proof" Robi has that the sloops are faster than the unis.
The proof im running off is our beloved Portsmouth rating:
F16 UNI 66.4
F16 Slp 65.3

Texel numbers, which if they read as of portsmouth I would assume lower equals faster
f16 UNI 99 109 104
f16 sloop 102 106 103

Also my experience at Daytona, after seing a TF16 raced uni, was noticebly slower than the F16 sloops; with the exception that he was much faster than we were. We still in early learning fase, which again I will have to start from scratch in September. Asloop can sail higher downwind a lower upwind for MORE speed, making it faster.

We need to remember, faster does not necesarily mean quicker. Those who win are quicker around the course, NOT necesarily faster.

I am not a diehard fan of DPN ratings, but I am just stating what I have noticed. I am all ears for this type of discussion. Which so far is an excellent one I may add.

Last edited by Robi; 07/12/05 08:52 PM.