A question for you; so that I am clear, does the paddle portion actually conform/mate perfectly with the inside (medial) section of the hull and not just the area under the lip of the hull?

Yes, the inside of the hull and the paddle area conform to each other. I laminated my paddle directly on the inside of the hull (hull was covered with a nylon sheet)

If so, how big is the paddle contact area (aprox.), and, do you then simply cut/fix your lines in order to maintain this perfectly mated contact between the two surfaces (paddle and hull)?

The area of the paddle is about the same of a conventional paddle (it might be slightly wider and shorter). It even can be used as a paddle if you feel like paddeling. My version of the Soloright has some flex (flex in pole , stretch in line). Initially there is very little contact between the hull and the paddle area - just the tip of the paddle is stuck under the hull lip. Once I load the pole (as in stepping on the pole) the pole flexes to a point were the paddle and the hull have nearly 100% contacts over the paddle area. I could reduce stretch of the lines by utilizing some better quality line. I also keep my eyes open of a fancier windsurfing mast (more carbon)

Also, your description of the pole portion being parallel to the mast indicates that while in the capsized position, the pole is also nearly parallel to the water. This being the case, doesn`t the pole actually submerge too early in the righting process and reduce your leverage? If not, how effective is this device?

Hmmm, I have never seen the pole attached to the boat from a perspective where the angle between mast and pole could be easily estimated ( I try to back up of my initial statement that pole and mast are parallel – nevertheless they are close to parallel.). Keep in mind the beam width of a cat and the fact that after you capsized your hobie, the thing will not float on one hull and the tip of the mast. The mast is most likely submerged to the area where the mast tang is attached to the mast. If you design your pole with a significantly steeper angle you will have a difficult time climbing the pole while the mast is in the described position. Once you get the mast tip out of the water you are not far from getting the boat upright.
I will ask someone to take pics or a short video – this might not happen in the near future.

Is it truly a solo righting device?

No, as I mentioned before – It is at best a cheap copy of a Soloright. All the innovative ideas came form Hobiegarry. I just tried to have a system available that would work in a situation where I have to right my Hobie without outside assistance. I also would like to have some strategy/system to get the Hobie out of a turtled position (solo).

Patrick

Patrick, Hobie 16 '85