07/31/09 11:26 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by aboopoo
Would you happen to have any photos of your spin up? Id like to see how high up the mast it runs.....
Any lines on a used tornado spinnaker?

No pics that show that.. but in this pic you can see the hound.
it was to high.. so i drilled holes in my track grove (8" lower) and made a dynema bale (bail?) for a block to swivel around.

PS you should post in the general forum if you want more responce.. this forum is basically dead. You could ask about used gear there as well..

http://a611628.sites.myregisteredsite.com/a/cat/mar-16-07g.jpg (paste this in for full size image)

[Linked Image]

Re: MYSTERE 5.5 SPINNAKER [Re: ] #186743
08/01/09 10:10 PM
08/01/09 10:10 PM
M
Mysterio 6 Offline
Mysterio 6  Offline
M

Maybe Jeff Bower would like to come on board,as he is one of the only 6.0 sailors I hve met who has an understanding of the nuances that make this design sail at the top of its game well....Bob

Re: MYSTERE 5.5 SPINNAKER [Re: Mysterio 6] #186834
08/03/09 10:24 AM
08/03/09 10:24 AM
Daytona Beach
Jeff_Bowers Offline
journeyman
Jeff_Bowers  Offline
journeyman

Daytona Beach
There was a day. Last weekend was not it. There are many much more qualified than I. Bob Curry, Mike Catley, Robbie Daniels. There are several problems with getting this boat tuned in. The rudders are the first(Many of us have changed to different rudders). The second is getting the most out of the sails. Mystere only produced fast sails for 1 or two years. The North sails all had problems with the seams seperating on the mains. The 97-99 sails were great. The ones I saw from the factory after that(the Sprint series) all seemed to flat. I had Saber cut me a set but they ended up being to full and I had them recut. Many of us on the west coast of Florida are using the used Tornado sails. Something I would like to try. Since there has never been an large number of the 6.0s we never had a loft really take on the task of creating great sails that fit the boat and the mast(Like Randy did for the P19). We are an orphan boat so class sails are no longer available. You have to experiment with what you have. With the recut sails I raked the mast forward about 2 inches and the boat goes to weather about 5 degrees higher and just as fast.
I love the boat because it best fits my needs. I spend a great deal of time sailing compared to the amount of time I race. In the ocean with big swell and chop it is a hard boat to beat for fun and comfort. I have a setups for 8.5 and 10 ft beam. 10 ft is fun but kind of a pain and really stresses the hulls in big wind.(Ask me how I know). I would love to get my hand on one of the later year boats with the larger diamiter beams and epoxy layup.
I have 2 spins. Neither work well on the boat(anybody want a spin cheap). If I were to consider moving to a spin again I would consider changing the jib to a SC22 type setup where you could tack the jib low and a mid pole snuffer(Cleanup the tramp,simpler sets and jibes, easier on the crew(wife)).

Last edited by Jeff_Bowers; 08/03/09 10:38 AM.

Jeff Bowers
Mystere 6.0(sometimes XL)
Re: MYSTERE 5.5 SPINNAKER [Re: Jeff_Bowers] #187207
08/06/09 12:46 PM
08/06/09 12:46 PM
Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

I've give some of what I know. First the 5.5 and the 6.0 are identical from the front beam back. There's about a ten inch difference between the two boats. It would seem that to make the 6.0 they just added ten inches to the front of the 5.5. So we have the problem with the 6.0. The front beam is not at the center of the hulls. It's about 10"s farther back. This places the mast behind the center of the hull. Then they put this roachy main on the boat which combines to greatly load the rudders.

Now off the wind this setup won't hurt your speed as the 6.0 owned a lot of distance records. Sail area and powerful bows.

The 6.0 sails best with the mast straight up, almost no rake. If you try to rake the mast back you'll just increase the load on the rudders which translates into drag.

Now some of us got tornado sails which if layed on top of a stock main are about 14" shorter mid girth. So now assuming you had your helm balanced with the stock main in order to maintain that same helm or balance of the boat you have to rake back. Is it faster with a T main that is raked back? Depends on the wind, sailing double or single etc. Funny thing I'm still messing with the rake and lately I've tried to go a little farther back and I noticed the boat slow down a lot. This boat like the mast more upright pressuring the bows.

Now the 5.5 has the front beam at the mid point so the boat is better balanced to start with. Frankly the 5.5's dpn should make a very tough boat to beat if it's well sailed. I've seen a friend on one sail away from a well sailed Nacra 6.0.

I think the T chute works great on the 5.5. The T chute is mainly designed to sail deep. The 5.5 has a powerful jib ( the same jib as the 6.0) so when reaching you have a powerful sail plan. The F-18's have little jibs good for going upwind but they lack for reaching. They compensate for this with flatter chutes.

Now what's better is up to the type of sailing you do. Since like Jeff I do more general sailing than racing I like the larger jib that furls and the fuller chute. This gives me the all-around boat that I want.

The rudders. First the later version of the Mystere rudders are copies of a T shape. Not the design but the shape. So they are a good shape. From what I've seen on the 5.5 there is enough adjustment to rake the rudders forward to get a good feel on the helm even with a fair amount of mast rake. The 6.0 is a different story. The rudders have the delrin inserts so re drilling the pivot points is difficult. Then they use some light weight filler instead of foam inside so they're not very strong. This weakness shows up in a hurry if you try to rake them forward. Almost every set I've seen cracks where it rests in the lower casting. Another problem is the tiller arms are short. They're like a foot long. They have to be so they don't hit the back beam when up. So a little weather helm is going to feel like a lot because of the lack of leverage you have.

What to do? If your's works use it, otherwise invest in another system. Mine is a Nacra system with Nacra rudders. It's not ideal but it works and is strong. One issue is I've lost 7 inches of in the water rudder blade compared to the Mystere blades, but I have tiller arms that are longer which I like.

Have Fun
Re: MYSTERE 5.5 SPINNAKER [Re: catman] #187214
08/06/09 01:36 PM
08/06/09 01:36 PM
Daytona Beach
Jeff_Bowers Offline
journeyman
Jeff_Bowers  Offline
journeyman

Daytona Beach
Mike,
Other way around. They cut the length of the 6.0 to make the 5.5. Off the bow and the top of the mast.
The newer blades have repositioned holes. Much better but still bad. I just broke another one this weekend when it did not kick up.
The later year 6.0's had the center boards moved back about 3 inches. This reduced weather helm.

Jeff Bowers
Re: MYSTERE 5.5 SPINNAKER [Re: Jeff_Bowers] #187499
08/10/09 09:40 AM
08/10/09 09:40 AM
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

I wasn't sure about which one came first. I though the 5.5 came before the 6.0.

Have Fun
Re: MYSTERE 5.5 SPINNAKER [Re: catman] #187611
08/11/09 11:15 AM
08/11/09 11:15 AM
Daytona Beach
Jeff_Bowers Offline
journeyman
Jeff_Bowers  Offline
journeyman

Daytona Beach
Mike,
Have you found a good source for Jibs? Mine are getting pretty beat.

Jeff Bowers
Re: MYSTERE 5.5 SPINNAKER [Re: Jeff_Bowers] #188678
08/21/09 03:21 PM
08/21/09 03:21 PM
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

No, mine are the same way. A friend that works at JSI just bought a M 6.0. He's looking at some new sails. Might be a discount to get more than one made.

Have Fun
Re: MYSTERE 5.5 SPINNAKER [Re: catman] #189422
08/28/09 02:23 PM
08/28/09 02:23 PM
Daytona Beach
Jeff_Bowers Offline
journeyman
Jeff_Bowers  Offline
journeyman

Daytona Beach
Let me know what he finds out. I have a North jib that is in Ok shape but horizontal battens and not so good for furling. My Bob Johnson sail is starting to feel like an 85' H16 main. Not sure if I want to go mylar for the jib. The Dacrons have held up better for fun sailing.

Jeff Bowers
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 352 guests, and 80 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,057
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022