09/05/12 12:42 PM
09/05/12 12:42 PM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
Not really. CABB has always carried the insurance on the regatta through US Sailing. This has to do with the beach concessionairs and the village. Rumor has it that insurance could be a problem.

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: RickWhite] #251996
09/05/12 01:07 PM
09/05/12 01:07 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
the concessionaires thing confuses me. Do they have to "host" the event?

What qualifies an entity (say CABB) to host their event at the park?

Jay

Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: Timbo] #251998
09/05/12 01:28 PM
09/05/12 01:28 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Timbo
Getting back to what started this, I think it was about paying for Insurance at Founder's Park, is that right? And US Sailing was going to sell them a policy for $1,000? Or more than that?

If 50 boats show up, that's $20 each, added to the entry fee.

Anyone got a problem with that? I think last year's entry fee was what, about $150? So this year it would be $170.

Or is there a lot more to it than that?

And if we use the Islander, I assume we are going to be sailing on the "outside" vs. in the bay, where we normal race, is that right?

With regards to the Islander, while you are sailing on the outside, it's still behind the reef. Its choppier than the sound behind Founders Park but it's not full on big waves or anything.

Jake Kohl
Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: Jake] #252002
09/05/12 01:39 PM
09/05/12 01:39 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
correct. Only a bit more seaweed and man-o-war.

Still beats any good day on a crappy frozen lake

Jay

Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: RickWhite] #252003
09/05/12 01:47 PM
09/05/12 01:47 PM
Solomon's Island, MD
S
samc99us Offline
old hand
samc99us  Offline
old hand
S

Solomon's Island, MD
IIRC there are also less shallow spots on the outside and a shorter sail to the course. Plus a closer walk to the tiki bar at days end.

What would the price difference be?

Haven't followed the entire thread, any thoughts to moving up to the Miami area? Would make for a shorter drive and easier logistics from the airport. I'm all for sailing in the keys but Biscany Bay is far from bad.

Scorpion F18
Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: RickWhite] #252009
09/05/12 06:55 PM
09/05/12 06:55 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Timbo, I'm sure this is not what you meant, but before anyone lights their hair on fire; US Sailing isn't charging anyone ANY amount of money for insurance.

That would be the insurance company, and the discounted rate charged to the OA is a benefit of US Sailing.

Mike

Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: RickWhite] #252010
09/05/12 07:08 PM
09/05/12 07:08 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Now I'm confused Mike.

So, the OA buys insurance from...who?

And then they get a US Sailing discount from that provider...why?

Blade F16
Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: brucat] #252026
09/06/12 08:46 AM
09/06/12 08:46 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by brucat

That would be the insurance company, and the discounted rate charged to the OA is a benefit of US Sailing.

Mike

Hate to burst your bubble but we quit using Chubb (US Sailing insurance provider) regatta insurance because it was too expensive and found a provider that gave the same coverage for less so the Chubb arrangement isn't really a benefit. Have ever noticed that Chubb never makes the cut when someone asks about insuring their boat? Why is that? Come on Mike I know you need to beat the US Sailing drum but now it's just starting to get ridiculous. Stop pimpin the stuff we can't use and start working on the things we need!

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: David Ingram] #252030
09/06/12 10:31 AM
09/06/12 10:31 AM
Hernando, Florida
M
Mlcreek Offline
Mlcreek  Offline
M

Hernando, Florida
Originally Posted by David Ingram

Mike

Hate to burst your bubble but we quit using Chubb (US Sailing insurance provider) regatta insurance because it was too expensive and found a provider that gave the same coverage for less so the Chubb arrangement isn't really a benefit. Have ever noticed that Chubb never makes the cut when someone asks about insuring their boat? Why is that? Come on Mike I know you need to beat the US Sailing drum but now it's just starting to get ridiculous. Stop pimpin the stuff we can't use and start working on the things we need!

So Dave....are you saying that with the thousands of boats of members in USS, we can't get a better deal than just going on the internet and working our own deal? I thought there would be a discount because of volumn and or association with USS. Hmmm....and people pay dues for what? I even bet there are agents on this thread that would love to write the business and give a great discount for couple thousand sail boats.

Forrest I-20

Forrest
I-20
USA 645

" There ain't enough rum in the drum!"
Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: RickWhite] #252032
09/06/12 11:07 AM
09/06/12 11:07 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
I don't know about the regatta insurance but the US Sailing B,G&B boat coverage is pretty high with high deductibles and they only insure one design.Have heard they are good on claims though, and that means alot.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #252036
09/06/12 11:59 AM
09/06/12 11:59 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
I don't know about the regatta insurance but the US Sailing B,G&B boat coverage is pretty high with high deductibles and they only insure one design.Have heard they are good on claims though, and that means alot.

I wouldn't be surprised if the better deals can be had for larger, more valuable, boats for private insurance. That's probably where the negotiating leverage is between US Sailing and any insurance company.

Jake Kohl
Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: RickWhite] #252041
09/06/12 02:40 PM
09/06/12 02:40 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

This is almost amusing...

My point was that US Sailing is not running the insurance.

It's actually Gowrie, according to the website (again, why am I the only one who can find this?): http://membership.ussailing.org/Page431.aspx

I am not saying it's better or cheaper than anything else, just saying that there is a discount, and that is a benefit of membership. I'm constantly being asked what the benefits are, here's an obvious one. If you choose to use different insurance, that doesn't make it any less of a valid point that US Sailing partnered with this company to provide this as a benefit.

Mike

Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: RickWhite] #252042
09/06/12 02:43 PM
09/06/12 02:43 PM
Solomon's Island, MD
S
samc99us Offline
old hand
samc99us  Offline
old hand
S

Solomon's Island, MD
As best I know US Sailing's agency is also the only one that still provides insurance if you charter your boat. I'm also not sure who else provides insurance during racing, if you read the documentation, most policies exclude racing, although your particular agent might be more forgiving.

Still, boat insurance isn't regatta insurance. Why do we need the latter again? $20=more beer money.

Last edited by samc99us; 09/06/12 02:44 PM.

Scorpion F18
Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: brucat] #252044
09/06/12 02:58 PM
09/06/12 02:58 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.

My point was that US Sailing is not running the insurance.

It's actually Gowrie, according to the website (again, why am I the only one who can find this?): http://membership.ussailing.org/Page431.aspx

I am not saying it's better or cheaper than anything else, just saying that there is a discount, and that is a benefit of membership. I'm constantly being asked what the benefits are, here's an obvious one. If you choose to use different insurance, that doesn't make it any less of a valid point that US Sailing partnered with this company to provide this as a benefit.

Mike

What do you think B,G&B was in my post? Barton,Gowrie and Brett maybe? Geez.
In my mind a benefit is a savings, not a greater expense.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: brucat] #252047
09/06/12 03:05 PM
09/06/12 03:05 PM
Orlando, FL
tback Offline
veteran
tback  Offline
veteran

Orlando, FL

.... US Sailing partnered with this company to provide this as a benefit.

Mike

That would be analogous to saying that because my Cable provider offers HBO it's like a benefit to me ...

Wait, I don't watch HBO and if I did I'd have to pay extra for it ...

Is that really a benefit to me?

USA 777
Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: RickWhite] #252053
09/06/12 03:57 PM
09/06/12 03:57 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

I already answered that. It's a benefit that you choose to leave on the table. This happens every day when people elect not to use employer-offered benefits.

Todd, someone else mentioned Chubb. Cost is only one part of the equation.

Follow the link above to see what is covered for clubs, types of boats covered (not just OD), etc.

Mike

Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: tback] #252058
09/06/12 06:03 PM
09/06/12 06:03 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Just for the record.

BACK IN THE DAY.... US Sailing did not have a partnership with any insurance companies. Regatta liability insurance was available through one underwriter. cost was about 350 for on the water and another 350 for beach/liquor liability. You had one option. Back then... States did not require your group to provide their own insurance... they covered it for you ... so... it was just 350 for on the water coverage... Times are tight.... they refuse to do that these days... if you want to use the state park... you need them to be named insured on a policy.

What you bought back then was coverage for the RC and its actions. If you borrowed your buddies power boat to run marks for you with your volunteers (they get hurt pulling up an anchor etc etc .... when it hit the fan.... It was your buddies insurance that covered any liability for his boats actions.... It wound up on HIS credit report etc etc. Some of us thought that was a big ask when you were borrowing a powerboat and getting a volunteer to run races.

US sailing worked with Gowrie and developed the burgee policy. Solved this problem. The other company soon matched many of the benefits.... ITS AMERICA... competition is good. You pick what you want or can afford... Just like you decide on how well off your insurance companies finances must be. (See AIG and bailout for the counter factual)... Is the value worth the cost... YMMV... THE POINT IS.... IT was US Sailing that sorted this out and gave us choice.

Back in the day.... your PRO, would volunteer to be the one responsible on the RC and take on all of the liability.... He basically trusted the host club to cover his butt ests.... (versus his home owners policy...) (You can imagine how those conversations worked out between host club and pro with regard to liability coverage... HUH!!!! WTF who needs this BS).... SO... US Sailing decided to purchase liability coverage for their PRO's who pass their certification and stay current with the continuing ed of being a PRO...

You may have noticed the liability coverage requirements for the A class and the F18 worlds coming up in the next two months... You may have noticed that MANY of the owners are in a scramble to purchase the proper amount of coverage and CAN'T from their underwriter. .... News flash... these requirements are WORLD WIDE and have been in place for some time.

Back in the day....you had the sailors on Olympic campaigns who needed world wide coverage. Boat US writes a lot of policies but did not want to touch Olympic sailing campaign requirements. ... Nowadays...the current OD program uses those World Wide liability limits... (HMMM... I wonder how that happened.)

When you race overseas...and bring your boat... the OD policy covers you.... Moreover, the Olympic guys will frequently charter a spare boat from their training partner... News flash... YOU have to get your own liability coverage. Usually for each country you might race in in the EU.. So... US Sailing took what one of the teams had worked out... expanded on the RFP to include you loaning your boat to another plus chartering your boat and your charters, PLUS coach boat insurance... (yep... to be on the race course within 300 yards of the racing... you have to carry a million bucks of coverage plus some other requirements for the driver) with that underwriter.

This OD coverage was just for the Olympic classes... and now the underwriter had made it the one design insurance policy that you now see. Don't plan on doing the Worlds in the US or abroad .... there are cheaper policies. YMMV.

Bottom line. that is the record... whether it is worth it to you is your call.

(he he... maybe we should ask the Obama passed Consumer Protection Board to take a look at boat insurance policies out there and generate the single sheet simple form so you know what you are buying... many people seem confused by the choices in the marketplace)

crac.sailregattas.com
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 720 guests, and 100 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,057
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022