Burlington, Vermont USA
K
Kevin Rose Offline OP
enthusiast
Kevin Rose  Offline OP
enthusiast
K

Burlington, Vermont USA
I'm interested in rigging some chicken lines on my N6.0. I'm curious as to what others have found best. A look at the LexisNexis web site shows the arrangement in the photos below.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is how they describe it:

"The chicken line is attached to the transom, and secured with bungee forward to take up slack. The loop of line is held on with a Prussic knot (common rope climbing knot), so it can be easily slid fore and aft, but will hold tight when loaded.

The small carabineer allows one-handed hook-up. We hook it on the trap handle, not on ourselves.

Getting in and out of these is a hassle, but worth it.

The front end of the chicken lines attach to bungee to take up slack. The black line fetches up tight if we are washed backwards by a wave, so the chicken line works both to prevent us from flying forward, and also to prevent us from getting washed off backwards."

Any other thoughts?

Kevin Rose N6.0na #215 Lake Champlain (New England's "west coast") Burlington, Vermont
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Chicken Lines [Re: Kevin Rose] #7083
05/15/02 11:57 AM
05/15/02 11:57 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Kevin,

I've been wanting to add them to my 5.2 as well. My concern about their setup is the leeward carabiner is dragging in the water and slapping against the hull. This may be OK for a leased boat but I wouldn't want this on my personal boat.

My thought was to take a line and tie a series of loops in it where I might trapeze and leave the carabiner on the dogbone all the time. Grab the line and find the loop closest and hook it in the beaner. I do like the climbing knot though - might do that instead of the loops but still leave the carbiner on the dogbone.

Jake Kohl
Re: Chicken Lines [Re: Jake] #7084
05/15/02 12:08 PM
05/15/02 12:08 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I just realized that they probably leave the carabiner hooked into the dog bone to keep it out of the water and from slapping the side of the boat....hmmm....I like it!

Anyone have details on the climbing knot they are using here?

Jake Kohl
Re: Chicken Lines [Re: Jake] #7085
05/15/02 12:54 PM
05/15/02 12:54 PM
San Diego, CA
whitecaps Offline
whitecaps  Offline

San Diego, CA
I have been thinking about since a bow-stuff in the recent Newport-Ensenada race caused my crewmate to fly around the bow of our I20, breaking the spinnaker pole and ending the race for us.

A search on Google found this link:

[Linked Image]

http://www.scouts.asn.au/knots_ad.html

"A knot used by climbers. It is made with a strop (endless loop, either spliced or tied) round the main climbing rope. It can be loosened and slid along the rope to vary its position on the rope."

It looks like you just loop the "chicken line" (the one with the carabiner) around the "jack line" (the fore-aft one) twice.

I'm definitely getting some version of this on my boat, as I have often wished I had something similar when ocean sailing in good winds.

Sail fast and have fun,

Alan Thompson

I20 - San Diego

Re: Chicken Lines - Better photo... [Re: whitecaps] #7086
05/15/02 01:06 PM
05/15/02 01:06 PM
San Diego, CA
whitecaps Offline
whitecaps  Offline

San Diego, CA
[Linked Image]

try this link...it has more details .
Also, you can vary the number of wraps to vary the friction generated by the knot.

Alan

Re: Chicken Lines [Re: whitecaps] #7087
05/15/02 03:06 PM
05/15/02 03:06 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
You know...it looks like that if you make this short 'chicken line' from that external chord / internal bunji stuff (used a lot for fixed righting lines under the boat), you could use this to replace the bunji that retains the dogbone normally....maybe...hmmm.

Jake Kohl
Re: Chicken Lines [Re: Jake] #7088
05/15/02 03:32 PM
05/15/02 03:32 PM
Burlington, Vermont USA
K
Kevin Rose Offline OP
enthusiast
Kevin Rose  Offline OP
enthusiast
K

Burlington, Vermont USA
Jake,

That biner flopping in the water was a problem for me, too. Like you, I like the idea of attaching the biner to the trap or dog bone better. Of course, it will add another piece of metal that can potentially tatoo the crew's head when released from the end of the boat.

I'm thinking that I will make the lines easy to remove, so that they're not something that will get in the way on days when the winds are light.

Kevin Rose N6.0na #215 Lake Champlain (New England's "west coast") Burlington, Vermont
Re: Chicken Lines - Re: flopping 'biners..... [Re: Kevin Rose] #7089
05/15/02 03:41 PM
05/15/02 03:41 PM
San Diego, CA
whitecaps Offline
whitecaps  Offline

San Diego, CA
.....how's about you just slide both lines back to the rear beam, then clip the on a strategically placed loop of line at the aft end of the tramp to keep them out of the way

Alan Thompson

I20 - San Diego

Re: Chicken Lines - Re: flopping 'biners..... [Re: whitecaps] #7090
05/15/02 04:15 PM
05/15/02 04:15 PM
Burlington, Vermont USA
K
Kevin Rose Offline OP
enthusiast
Kevin Rose  Offline OP
enthusiast
K

Burlington, Vermont USA
I was thinking about an eye strap (or an offset strap) mounted on the transom. The aft end of the chicken line would tie into it, with the forward end attached to the shroud (or perhaps run all the way to the front beam). I could just untie the line and put it in my tramp bag on days when I don't need it. I struggle with the idea of adding things like chicken lines. I try to keep my tramp as clean and uncluttered as possible (which is not saying much with the Nacra 6.0). Seems that anything that's lying around is just too easy to get tangled up in. Chicken lines do make a lot of sense, though. The winds here today were blowing in the upper 20's to low 30's, with a very steep 4 foot chop. I've taken enough wild rides to the forestay, and am installing foot loops and chicken lines over the next week or so.

Re: Chicken Lines - Re: flopping 'biners..... [Re: Kevin Rose] #7091
05/15/02 04:59 PM
05/15/02 04:59 PM
Texas
majsteve Offline
majsteve  Offline

Texas
Kevin,

If you put an eye strap on the transom in a hard stop with crew weight over 300lbs. You will rip the eye out of the hull !!!

You can put the attachment line on your harness and hook it to a few loops on the main hook line (attached to the boat). Then you only have one line to worry about and you just need to release one line before you unhook from the trap.

This also helps you from "hopping" in big waves. If you crash the bungee will let you get down to the water.

Steve

Re: Chicken Lines- rear beam, others- [Re: Kevin Rose] #7092
05/15/02 07:30 PM
05/15/02 07:30 PM
Arkansas, USA
Kirt Offline
enthusiast
Kirt  Offline
enthusiast

Arkansas, USA
Kevin-

My old 18 sq. had a chicken line internal to the rear beam tensioned w/ bunji so when not in use the hook (w/ plastic ball) just sat up snug against the Nacra plastic endcap.

My Taipan is rigged with a chicken line from the rear of the boat that ends in a plastic ball and hook but has a bunji w/ loop in the end that the line runs through. The bunji (which extends between the two chicken lines within the rear beam) runs inside the rear beam and retracts the excess line into the rear beam when not in use holding the ball/hook up against the end of the rear beam. You should have checked it out at SF Jake (not that we needed them there!)-

If this wasn't clear let me know and I'll try to explain better or draw a picture/take one for you-

Kirt

Kirt Simmons Taipan #159, "A" cat US 48
Re: Chicken Lines - Re: flopping 'biners..... [Re: majsteve] #7093
05/15/02 08:14 PM
05/15/02 08:14 PM
Burlington, Vermont USA
K
Kevin Rose Offline OP
enthusiast
Kevin Rose  Offline OP
enthusiast
K

Burlington, Vermont USA
Admittedly, an eystrap is pretty weak, even with a backing plate. I was looking at some heavier duty U-bolts and using a larger backing plate. My thinking is that since the chicken line wraps over the top of the transom before leading forward, that bend would keep the forces lateral to the bolts through the transom. Again, I'd like to hear what others have done.

Re: Chicken Lines [Re: Kevin Rose] #7094
05/16/02 05:30 PM
05/16/02 05:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Kevin, I've been reading this forum for quite sometime and thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth. In thinking about adding a line, Why not go through the front and rear beams in a complete circle. Add bungy within the beams just enough to keep things taught, but don't splice the bungy into the line, just use it as a "take up". This will allow you to make the line as long as needed. Keep the whole system from rotating by adding stop knots outside the beam endcaps. This would make a clean setup, however it would limit fore and aft movement to being within the scope of the length of the line and bungy... further thought, use the center trap bungy as an eye to keep the rope at the top edge of the hulls. I'm curious to know how this will end up.

Re: Chicken Lines #7095
05/16/02 05:39 PM
05/16/02 05:39 PM
San Diego, CA
whitecaps Offline
whitecaps  Offline

San Diego, CA
Hiding the system in the rear beam is a neat idea, but I'm concerned that it wouldn't give the driver enough angle on the chicken line when trapezing in the aft position. This is why (I believe) the Worrell teams anchor the chicken line at the stern, not the rear beam.

When going fast (reaching or downwind) is when you are going to need the chicken lines the most. In this situation you really need to be as far back as possible on the boat. In my experience on both the P19 and I20, having your weight aft is more important than trapezing when broadreaching.

If you are trapezing at the rear beam, the chicken line must be anchored aft of your position in order to provide an aft-ward force.

Alan Thompson

I20 - San Diego

Re: Chicken Lines- rear beam- w/ pic #1 [Re: whitecaps] #7096
05/16/02 07:07 PM
05/16/02 07:07 PM
Arkansas, USA
Kirt Offline
enthusiast
Kirt  Offline
enthusiast

Arkansas, USA
Kevin-

That's the beauty of my current Taipan system- It's within the rear beam mostly but when "deployed" it connects you to the rear of the boat- See attachemnt for close up of rear beam and on next post an "aerial" view of the line crossing the rear of the deck from the rudder pintle to the rear beam (this is where the line supports you from)-

Kirt

Attached Files

Re: Chicken Lines- rear beam- w/ pic #1 [Re: Kirt] #7097
05/16/02 07:11 PM
05/16/02 07:11 PM
Arkansas, USA
Kirt Offline
enthusiast
Kirt  Offline
enthusiast

Arkansas, USA
Here's the other picture- See attachment. Went ahead and made of collage of both rear hulls-

Hope you can tell what's going on-

Kirt

Attached Files

Re: Chicken Lines- rear beam, others- [Re: Kirt] #7098
05/16/02 09:00 PM
05/16/02 09:00 PM
California!
Inter_Michael Offline
Inter_Michael  Offline

California!
With the exception of big water and long distance racing, would not the use of "foot-straps" be adequate for stability?

Re: Chicken Lines- rear beam, others- [Re: Inter_Michael] #7099
05/17/02 07:30 AM
05/17/02 07:30 AM
Arkansas, USA
Kirt Offline
enthusiast
Kirt  Offline
enthusiast

Arkansas, USA
Michael-

You'll note my boat has footstraps (one per side at the very rear of the hull) AND the "chicken line"- footstraps for the skipper, line for the crew. But you are correct, you could just add more footstraps and many people do, but some people don't like footstraps between the beams--

Kirt

Chicken lines vs Tethers [Re: majsteve] #7100
05/17/02 08:43 AM
05/17/02 08:43 AM
Mark Meis Offline
Mark Meis  Offline

We are talking two things here. Tethers and chicken lines. Tethers keep you attached in the worst case situations and chicken lines keep you in control when sailing out of control. A chicken line system requires that the bitter end be tied off to the stern of the boat for the captain has enough leverage to use the line to counter forward momentum. Through beam does not work. In addition, it needs to be retractable. The best chicken line systen on a Nacra 6.0 I have seen is quite simple. You need 2, 10 foot pieces of 5/16 line. Tie the line to the rubber pin with a bow line, then run the line along side the boat. Attach a bungie cord to the line. feed the bungie through the crews trapezee groumet in the trampoline and repeat on the other side. Adjust to tension system. This will give plenty of security to the captain and crew for forward motion whenever you go submarine.

Tethers are a separate subject. I recommend a system that is center trampoline based. This eliminates the needs to uncleat and cleat. Rick White interviewed John Tomko of Team San Antoinio during this years Worrell and he describes this system. If you want a separate system, use the beam system with lots of bungie and blocks. Still have to remember to hook up after each tack and sometimes this can be hard to do when it is blowing 25 and the boat is flying.

By the way on Inter-20's you cannot tie off to the rudder because they do not have full length pins. On these boats you do need to put an eyestrap on the stern. An eye strap with good through bolts will hold all the weight you give it. If you pull off the stern then you fix it but iI don't believe this will happen. If you put that much force on it. the boat will just move and the energy disipated (sp?). Now if the boat was tied down then you may tear off the stern.

good luck.

Mark C28R no. 140 Houston, TX
Re: Chicken Lines- rear beam, others- [Re: Inter_Michael] #7101
05/17/02 11:18 AM
05/17/02 11:18 AM
San Diego, CA
whitecaps Offline
whitecaps  Offline

San Diego, CA
I had a footstrap aft of the rear beam on my previous P19, and it didn't really help that much when the driver is trapping all the way aft. Because of the angle of the trapeze wire, you have enough forward force from this alone that virtually all of your weight is on your forward foot. The foot strap helped some, but was not enough to work well when you buried the leeward bow and suddenly went from 15 kts to 5 kts - your foot tends to slide out of the footstrap in this case.

While you could arrange things to really lock your foot into the strap, you would then invite severe foot injuries in the event of a sudden stop. This is not something you want to mess with.

I have considered putting the foot straps on my current I20 as a supplement to the chicken lines, but only after I get the chicken lines installed and working to my satisfaction. Also, you need a little practice before you know exactly where you want to place the foot straps (you don't want to drill a lot of holes in your boat before you know where you finally get the straps in the right position!).

Alan Thompson

I20 - San Diego

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 229 guests, and 120 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,057
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022