Hop To
broken main halyard #57571
09/19/05 09:58 AM
09/19/05 09:58 AM
bkyser Offline OP
stranger
bkyser  Offline OP
stranger

Well, this weekend was ruined. My main halyard broke during one of the "final pulls" to get the rope part through the blocks at the top of my mast. the rope didn't break, the wire itself on the "sail side of the slug" snapped. I have a few question. On my 14, without a comp tip, the halyard is mostly wire, and I don't struggle so much getting the "slug" over the top to latch the sail. I've fought with the halyard on the 16 since day 1. It's also a been a lot more difficult to get hooked properly. I don't plan on ever racing, so is there a good reason that I can't use a halyard made for a non-comp tip mast, or is there an issue other than the "no metal" going from the top of the mast down, because of electrocution issues? ( that's why I assume they use the "mostly rope halyards) Is one less expensive than the other? I've put a lot of money in this boat already, and the boss ( wife ) is putting the halts to it. Will the metal type halyard damage the comp tip? Are there any suggestions on how to make a new main halyard?

Any and all help would be appreciated.
Bob

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: broken main halyard [Re: bkyser] #57572
09/19/05 10:37 AM
09/19/05 10:37 AM
California
mmiller Offline
veteran
mmiller  Offline
veteran

California
The sheaves on the CompTip are not wire sheaves, but the final load is wire on them so it should work.

Might I suggest that the 16 is very different from the 14 regardless of the type of halyard.

Take a look at the hoisting FAQ on the Hobie Forums. You should not have to use brute streangth hoisting the main if done properly.

Hobie FAQ on sail hoisting

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 352 guests, and 80 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,057
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022