I think the one-design vs. handicap issue stems mostly from personal preference and fleet demographics.

One-design racing is a different game than handicap racing. Handicap racing is all about strategy (getting around the course fast) whereas one-design is more tactical. There are essential tactics in one-design racing (such as covering) that are suicide in handicap racing. Some people prefer the one-design game, others like the handicap game better.

Then there are the fleet characteristics to consider. I race an Isotope, and the Isotope class is pretty much local to two clubs in one area. I get the biggest possible one-design fleet in my local club races. Therefore, it doesn't make much sense to travel hundreds of miles for one-design racing. Why drive 5 hours to race against 4 other boats when I could drive 1 hour and race against 12 (including 3 of those 4)? I go to Spring Fever to sail with a broader group of boats from multiple classes.

But (correct me if I'm wrong folks), the F18 fleet has very different demographics. Those boats are spread out across multiple clubs in different areas. They don't get regular one-design racing at home. The only way to get a sizable fleet is to travel to popular regattas such as Spring Fever. When there, F18 sailors really want to capitalize on the opportunity for one-design racing. After all, that's what the F18 class was created for.

So, I don't think you'll ever have a single solution that will make everyone happy. There's nothing that prevents you from doing a little of both, though. I've asked Race Committe in the past (and will probably ask again this year) to at least start the Isotopes with the Hobie 17s and 18s (which have relatively close portsmouth handicaps) and any other similarly inclined racers. I would have no objection whatsoever if the F18 fleet asked for their own start in order to race strictly one-design. I hope that if 3 Tornados show up that RC will find a way to let them sail with I20s and Supercats, and for the Waves to sail with the Nacra 4.2s. I don't have a good feel for what the Hobie 16 sailors will want, but why not ask them?

Sincerely,
Eric