This is the same trick they always pull. Note that nobody actually writes that the nacra 5.0 will just as easily pull two people to the trapeze and scream along ! But they still give you the false impression that the Hobie 16 does this more easily.

I know both boats rather well and honestly the Nacra 5.0 is a better design in the way of handling and performance. It will also take a spinnaker better is you ever decided to go that route (which I espext you will considering your teenage need for speed credentials)

The Nacra 5.0 is a more refined design that cuts through the water better and it will be a stiffer boat then the Hobie 16 because of the way the beams are drectly connected to the hulls and the usage of larger beams. The pilon design of the Hobie is not the best setup in the way of stiffness.

Additionally the raised trampoline on the Hobie starts hurting my feet and butt after a while. On the Nacra 5.0 you are sitting and standing on the more flat hulls and so you won't have the same here.

The Nacra 5.0 has skegs (no daggerboards or asymmetrical hulls) and these are better for upwind performance then asymmetric hulls. Actually the difference between skegs and daggerboards in the way of performance is surprisingly small.

If the nacra 5.0 is young enough then you'll also have mast rotation control, a loose mainsail foot and better downhaul control. All these will allow you to trim the mainsail better and that can make a noticeable difference in performance.

Most older Hobies (the ones that are second hand) have sliding (main and jib) traveller cars instead of ball baring ones. The nacra will have ball baring traveller cars and that works alot better especially when salt and dust collects in them. In my experience older H16 main traveller cars jam up easily. When I worked for the sailing school as instructor I often kicked them across with my feet. But these boats were often old !

And I can go on.

But basically in the way of design the nacra 5.0 is just alot better. The forte of the H16 is the strong class following it has world wide and the general availability of cheap second hand parts. But if you are not really interested in racing then the nacra 5.0 you mention sounds like a really good deal. And I personally would go for it.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands