Does the Hobie sail better in 3 to 5 foot seas? It just seems like it would with those curvy hulls that would seem to slice through the wake with less resistence than the straight hull design of the nacra.

No ! The nacra is noticeably better here. The lip on the side of the Hobie hulls really do slow it down when it has to punch through waves. The more narrow and rounder deck on the bows also allow the nacra to put its bows under and continue sailing.

also, i hear how easy the Hobie is to trailer because of how easy it is to strap it down right near the pylons.

Nonsense. Again they make a big deal out of really nothing. In my experience standard length tie-downs (with the ratchet tensioners), costing 3 bucks a piece, are long enough to wrap around the hull of the nacra 5.0 and thus tie it down to the trailer. But I know alot of people just do the wrap around the beams themself and that seems to work very well also and has the advantage of not touching the hulls.

Is it more difficult to trailer a Nacra? I'll be trailering 90 minutes on the highway to the coast to do most of my sailing, so trailering is important to me too.

No.

basically guys, I'm tryin to get the most bang for my buck. i gotta year left in high school, and then - depending where i go - might not be sailing at all (except when i come home) for 4 years at least. after college though? hell yeah

My vote goes to the nacra 5.0 unless you want to tap into the H16 racing cirquit.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands