The 6.0NA went from a non-spin to a spinnaker configuration so it really required a different portsmouth number. We're not talking about as big of a potential speed increase here (maybe 3 to 5% around the course?).

I also doubt that dividing the already small Nacra 20 class into 3 subdivisions is going to help anything. Simple is better...if opening up the sails is the answer, do it for all and change the rules. Pandora's box is already well open since there are already a large number of boats with non-nacra sails. There's no point in fighting the trend...open it, let the ratings go where they will, and hope the class continues to live on. Handicap ratings really aren't the subject. The subtext here is that the Nacra 20 sailors feel like their boats should be able to keep up with F18s around the course so they want to be able to develop the sails to do so...they also want to be able to buy sails at around the same (less expensive) price point as the F18 teams.

Personally, I was not in favor of opening the sails as a Nacra 20 owner - I preferred the one design philosophy. However, the train is already on that track and you might as well stay in the passenger compartment instead of the caboose.

Compared to the demise of the 6.0, the 20 does have something still going for it. There is not a relative competing 20 footer around. F18 has drawn some sailors away but there are still those that will always stay with the 20 footer. There will still be a need for manufacturer support for the class which will be harder to maintain if the class breaks into it's own entity and chooses to buy boat components elsewhere and people don't buy new boats.

I also don't think that the new boat prices we are seeing with the Formula 18 and Nacra 20 will be able to sustain themselves. I could buy a new boat when they were $14k but the prices have far exceeded inflation (and my wage if I want to keep having a newish truck and to maintain my home)...hopefully they will self adjust back to a more reasonable level (sub $20k). This is what will keep the Nacra 20 class alive.

Jake Kohl