There are some interesting 'throwaway' comments in this thread and I'm increasingly intrigued. I don't actually care what boat the Alter Cup is sailed on as it's none of my business and it looks as though the Hobie guys are entitled to be pissed that they weren't told first that an alternative boat has been chosen.

What intrigues me is the apparent massive resistance to put a spin on the H16. I am genuinely puzzled. Surely fitting a spin would give the H16 a new lease of life at not too great a cost? I've sailed several H16s and loved every minute of it - even the 'instant' pitchpole with no real warning!! but I can see that fitting a spin will add a whole new, exciting aspect. Watching the H16s with spin at Carnac this year, it was fascinating to see how fast they could be around the course and on the return-to-beach leg at the end of the day we were all weaving in and out with H16s up there with F18s, Bimares etc. It was cool to see.

Why is there so much resistance to even making the spin an option in the US? And why the allegation that HCEurope has fought a 'subversive' campaign to make spins legal? What's subversive? What are they trying to subvert? I'm not trying to provoke a sh!t storm, I'm trying to understand the reasoning .....

I tried doing a search on here without much success - does anyone know if there's a thread on here where the reasons for not wanting to adopt a spin on the H16 was discussed?

Last edited by Jalani; 11/04/08 11:23 AM.

John Alani