Steve, Wouter, Bob, Dave, and Carl:

Guys, some really excellent discussion from all parties and some really interesting points made. I really appreciate everyone's constructive tone even though there are differing opinions and these are complex issues. I ask these questions becuase I have an open mind and appreciate hearing both sides.

I really did like the discussion on the combination of factors including lower bow volume + fine entry + light weight + smaller rigs vs higher bow volume + heavier weight + larger rigs and the tradeoffs involved.

Although this all involves balance between rig power and total weight, heeling vs righting moments, and hull shape (volume distribution, fineness of bow entry, etc) and is less dependent on one variable overall such as weight, I still would think that it is possible that there is a sweet spot for weight, ie, a point of optimization, for a certain set of conditions.

One critical issue then is: what are the conditions one wants to optimize for? Light wind and flat water? Heavy wind and waves? A wide range of wind and waves?

I would think that A-cats are optimized for ligher air, F18's are optimized for heavier air; does it seem logical that there might be a sweet spot for boat weight (ie, some intermediate weight, maybe 250 lbs) which along with a properly powered rig and hull design is optimized for a BROAD range of winds and as a result would not only be faster ON AVERAGE over a wide range of conditions but would also be relatively easy to handle in the extremes?

Thanks again guys for the excellent discussion.

Jerry