I for one like the F16 class to remain different, remain more open and more flexible then the vast bulk of the competition. And as an example I will not support any minimum crew weight rules or whatever.

I would not like to see the F16 class become like the F18 class where their are too many rules to count and where the top level sailing is poisoning the enjoyment of sailing of a growing portion of the other crews.

Last year in events I was told by several F18 sailors that they are considering switching as the F18 class has become to much focussed on the extreme top of competitive sailors. A few already "tune-out" by intentionally registering as part of the open class instead of the F18 class.

I really like the F16 class to remain the class where now a good number of sailors are building their own boats. Where weekend warriors can have their day of glory. Where the fundamental onus is always on the sailing skills and where we simply won't have any bickering about who has got a miniscule advantage (by being 5 kg lighter in crew weight or something).

I'm personally looking forward to meeting all the internet names at the Zandvoort event and talking to them over a drink or meal. Lusting over the homemade craft that will come to the event and praising the owners about their dedication. Discussing rigging tricks and stories. Just as much as I will enjoy sharing the race course with them. I'm not really interested in the Zandvoort event being a Worlds in disguise or anything. The winner of this event will still (and only be) be the best sailor of the participants even if the event is called the Zandvoort fun race. And I'm sure the crews won't sail less competitively once the horn goes even when if it had been called that.

I think Matt McDonald and Gina have it right here. They value the events they go to because of the social things around the racing, while still doing their best to do well on the race course but without allowing that to dominate their event. And I think the Brits have the right view on things as well.

I would like to see F16 grow in that direction.

A class with a great social environment around their event and class (homebuilding ?) where the racing is enjoyable and well executed but not dominating the events as a whole. A good balance where neither leads to the degradation of the other. I never regarded the F16 class to become the next A-cat, F18 or Tornado class. If anything, the "Have a Hobie day" comes closest, but this time with a whole section added with respect to building the craft and optimizing them.

I hope lots of you guys are coming over and I do hope that the racing will be forfilling but not tiring enough so that we all can sit together in the evenings and fire up the BBQ and pop open a selection of my wine collection while enjoying the sun setting over the sea ever so slowly at 10:30 PM and admiring the "fire in the sky"

Or accompany a few crews (families) when they do some sight seeing on the rest day.

And have great fun during the last weekend when we will be that 20 boat strong F16 contignent in that 100 boat REM- race (distance race).

That is what I'm looking for in the (future) F16 class.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands