I am not trying to antagonise you

And I'm not trying to antagonize YOU.

but the last set of published texel data indicates that the fastest boat (F18 with a spin) only went 3 knots (5 km/hr) faster than the fastest H16 (no spin).

Actually it is 7.1 km/u = 3.9 knots. You can crawl at a why 4 knots ?

And as we all know Texel contains sizeable reaching legs and it is sailed typically with wind between 15 and 25 knots. I would argue that that is a Hobie 16's ideal race. Especially with the shallows that boarded cats need to take in consideration.

And the rating systems seem to back that up with only a 15% difference (2 knots?) in the F18 and H16 (no spinnakers).

That is true but even the best Hobie 16 crews don't come closer to the winning handicapped time than about 10 minutes. That is another 18 rating points = extra 18 %.

I'm sorry to say but the spinnaker hit under all rating system is wrong. It is too little. I've shared clubs with European Champions in both the H16 and P16 classes and the guys that are the fastest H16 around Texel. They are all very good sailors but can't win on handicap from equally well sailed spi boats.

But we are getting into a futile argument here. You have your view I have mine.

Indeed, and I have no interest in altering your believe. Just in making the stated "facts" check out with reality.

I am however genuinly interested in what people think the best selling boat is.

To THAT I fully agree.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands